One component of my commitment to community service and social justice is making academic knowledge and research more accessible. In the process, this means gaining some attention of the media, whether intentionally sought or not. Here are a few cases where my research, teaching, and service have been covered by the media.
- Media attention for “The Social Costs of Gender Nonconformity for Transgender Adults: Implications for Discrimination and Health” (Sociological Forum 2015, vol. 30, p. 809-831): Indiana University’s IU Newsroom, The Society Page’s Clippings, Gay RVA, U.S. News & World Report, and a radio interview with Bloomington, IN’s WFHB.
- Coverage of a panel, “Transgender Inmates Continue To Face Extraordinary Obstacles,” Gay RVA, June 26, 2014.
- “Double Discrimination Impacts Physical and Mental Health,” Health Behavior News Service, March 25, 2014.
- Media attention for “Multiple Forms of Perceived Discrimination and Health among Adolescents and Young Adults” (Journal of Health and Social Behavior 2012, vol. 53, p. 199-214): Indiana University’s IU Newsroom, American Sociological Association’s press and Speak for Sociology blog, UPI, The Press Enterprise blog, Windy City Times, and several Spanish newspapers (La Opinión, Hoy, El Diario, Hola Ciudad, Vista Magazine, Rumbo, El Mensajero, La Raza, Impre Media, La Prensa, and MSN Latino).
- “Hooked Up Last Night? How to Survive the Walk of Shame,” [pdf] Pg.7, Inside Magazine, Indiana University, November 29, 2011.
- “Pain, Pleasure, and Feminism”, The Men’s Health Feminist, April 11, 2011.
- “Body Size, Sexuality and Girls: Thinking beyond Correlations”, Sexuality and Society blog, March 22, 2011.
- “A Modern Relationship”, HiLite Online, Carmel High School, Carmel, IN. January 27, 2011
- “Diversity Scholars Enrich UWM This Summer,” University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee News, July 12, 2010.
- “Creating Closetless Culture,” Indiana Daily Student, Indiana University, October 26, 2009.
- Undergraduate Researchers: Where Are They Now?, Office of Undergraduate Education, University of Maryland Baltimore County.
Kinsey Institute: I Believe video, November 10, 2010:
It Gets Better Campaign video, October 3, 2010:
CBS news story on 30th anniversary of the March on Washington, August 28, 1993 (skip to 4:46):